This is a fun word. It means something you really like or are partial to, A good synonym would be ‘preference’. Most people have a predilection for chocolate, for example.
As with many of Wednesday’s words, I enjoy this word because of the sound. Something about it feels light and not quite serious. To say you have a ‘predilection for Italian food’ just seems decidedly more playful than to say ‘I really like Italian food.”
If you’ve ever seen The Sound of Music, there is a song from that film entitled, “My Favorite Things”, that is a perfect example of what someone’s predilections might be, though lyrically, I think “favorite things” works much better than to say, “these are a few of my predilections.”
I thought I’d leave you with a list of a few of my own predilections. Here are a few of my favorite things. Perhaps some of them are yours as well:
- Writing when it’s raining.
- Hearing my kids laugh (which thankfully happens a lot).
- The Sistine Chapel ceilings.
- Discovering a good book. Here’s one of my favorites.
- Fire in a fireplace (especially in winter and when combined with the previous predilection).
- Florence, Italy.
- Listening to well-done radio theater (you should try it, it’s amazing). My favorite is the amazing Chronicles of Narnia, by Focus on the Family Radio Theater.
- Playing guitar (I’m very much an amateur, but I enjoy it).
- Working up a good sweat (not for everyone, I know, but it makes me feel like I’ve really accomplished something).
- Riding a bicycle.
- Traveling off the beaten path.
- Tree houses. This is the one I built (with a considerable amount of help!)
- Smoothies. Yum.